It’s funny how every time I get ready to start writing, all of a sudden all the ideas disappear! Or in some cases, just like now, all the ideas flow in like a river that I get confused on what to write about and share!
A friend of mine once said that to master blogging you need to have things to write about. And in order to do that, you need to experience new things every day, so you get ideas for your posts.
It’s true and I totally agree with him; because you can’t just write about anything, and by ‘anything’ I mean nonsense stuff! For example, posting things that nobody will read or gain anything from it
However, the problem is not with the experiences. The problem is with transforming those experiences into words. Trying to get your readers to feel, imagine, and picture the experience as if they personally living it. I totally agree with the say “a picture is worth 1000 words”. So, in order to describe the picture you might need at least 1000 words; and that’s the minimum (a personal opinion). Unless you find the “right” words!
So, I’m going to share with you five ways that help me writing:
1. Read. Yes, you got to read a lot. Actually the more you read, the more you will be able to find the “right” words for your writings. Reading will open for you new doors for expressing your ideas. You will also learn the different styles of writing, and will help you to choose the style that suits you and your ideas. And it is not only about building your vocabulary but you will also get new ideas to write about.
2. Write everyday.Make it a habit. The more you write, the easier it will get. As Stephen King has said, writing is a discipline, not a car wash. However, to gain this habit, first you need to know why you are writing and what makes you write?
Whatever the reason is; figure it out! And keep reminding yourself with the reason, because that will trigger you to keep writing.
Brainstorming by freewriting. Set a goal for yourself (100 words or 1000 words a day, just set it & reach it). Mind mapping is also a good way to help you organize your thoughts and plan your article.
3. Write down all ideas immediately. Carry a small notebook with you wherever you go, so anytime you get an idea, you write it down immediately. That’s what writers do 😉 .. You can also carry a small recorder so in case of both your hands were busy (driving for example), you can hit the record and save your idea!
4. Never procrastinate.I believe this is one of the biggest mistakes we make. Because the more we procrastinate and delay things, the longer it takes us to reach our dreams. Procrastination was never a solution to anything. So be careful, and never procrastinate!
5. Relax, play and don’t force it. The ideas will flow. Don’t stress yourself. Listen to music. Change your place. Take a shower or go out. Refresh and come back to write.
And at the end, don’t forget to have fun while writing.
Happy writing 🙂
P.S. For more reading on ways to help you writing, checkout these links:
- 15 Writing Resources: http://oedb.org/library/features/150-writing-resources/#.UC3h86kgfSg
- Brainstorming: http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/brainstorming/
- 5 Methods to Help You Write Everyday: http://procrastinatingwritersblog.com/2010/05/5-methods-to-help-you-write-every-day/
- 201 Ways to Arouse Your Creativity: http://writetodone.com/2010/06/28/201-ways-to-arouse-your-creativity/
- The 1-2-3 Plan Every Blogger Should Know: http://www.copyblogger.com/1-2-3-blog/
- How to Be an Effective Writer: http://goinswriter.com/writing-tips/how-to-be-an-effective-writer/